At Iconic Alternatives, we try to focus on affordable clothing that will help us get the Bond style we want without emptying our wallets. So it doesn’t make a whole lot of financial sense to invest in a piece and then only use it with one “screen accurate” look. Versatility is the name of the game. That’s where our “4 Ways to Wear It” series comes in. We take one piece of iconic Bond clothing and combine it with other affordable 007 inspired alternatives to extend our wardrobe and get the most bang for our buck. In this post we look at the Tom Ford Johnny Collar Polo from SPECTRE.
The Screen Accurate Look
- Jacket: Brooks Brothers Suede Bomber Jacket in Khaki for $598.00. You can find more alternatives for the SPECTRE Matchless jacket in this post.
- Pants: Reiss Fielder Garment Dyed Slim Fit Chinos in Beige for £95.00/ $180.00. You can find more alternatives for the Brunelli Cucinelli chinos in this post.
- Boots: Golden Fox 6″ Boondocker Boots for $129.99. You can read my review of the boots here. And you can find more alternatives for the J.Crew Kenton Boots in this post.
- Belt: Orvis Woven Leather Belt on sale for $59.00
- Sunglasses: Polaroid 2076 086 on sale for $41.94; alternatives for the Tom Ford Henry Sunglasses. You can also go with the classic Ray-Ban Clubmasters if you prefer a glass lens.
- Watch: Seiko 5 SNZH57 for $139.93
- Watch Strap: Phenomenato Bond NATO for $40.00
Total Price: $1188.86
Not a lot to say here that hasn’t already been covered. The look has stayed a fan favorite since SPECTRE’s release almost four years ago. And it’s easy to see why. First, it’s a very versatile style. The various elements (suede jacket, chinos, boots, belt and sunglasses) are used later in the film with the Brunello Cucinelli sport coat and Tom Ford shirt and tie and the Orlebar Brown blue linen shirt. Second, it’s a relaxed, rugged outfit that still comes across as put-together. I mean, Bond doesn’t look like he’s about to dig a ditch or anything. But he definitely fits in with his environment more than, say, Roger Moore in a suit would.
The Summer Wedding
- Suit: Banana Republic Heritage Slim Linen Suit Jacket ($298.00) and Trousers ($160.00) in Grey; alternative for the Casino Royale Brioni Bahamas Suit.
- Shoes: Cole Haan Pinch Sanford Bit Loafers in Black on sale for $103.99; alternatives for Roger Moore’s classic Gucci slip-ons.
- Belt: Neiman Marcus Saffiano Leather Belt on sale for $48.00; alternative for the Quantum of Solace Prada belt.
- Watch: Tissot PR100 Chronograph Rhodium Dial Watch on sale for $265.00; alternative for the On Her Majesty’s Secret Service Rolex Chronograph ref 6238.
- Sunglasses: Magnoli Clothiers Quantum Sunglasses for $80.00; alternatives for the Tom Ford TF108s.
Alright, so this one is a little slick. Blame it on the Italian designers I’ve been researching lately. But all the pieces do come from Bond films. And it’s an outfit that will work for almost any adult-oriented, semi-formal function during the hotter months. The linen fabric keeps the suit from getting too dressy when worn with the casual polo. Plus, you can ditch the jacket if things get more relaxed and still look like you gave a damn about what you’re wearing. I’ll leave it up to you to decide if you want to go sockless with the loafers.
By the Pool
- Swim Shorts: Onia Charles Trunks in Deep Navy on sale for $39.97; alternatives for the mystery shorts Daniel Craig was wearing in the Bond 25 Jamaica set photos. Other sizes for the Onias are available at MatchesFashion for £91.00/$120.00.
- Shoes: Soludos Smoking Slippers in Washed Canvas Blue for $54.90. Alternatives for the James Bond Thunderball Espradilles.
- Sunglasses: Ray-Ban New Wayfarer in Tortoise for $143.00; alternatives for the Tom Ford Snowdons. They should tide you over until your pair of Vuarnet Brown Model 06 arrive.
- Sunglass Keeper: Croakies Eyewear Retainer in Navy for $7.99; I’m pretty sure this is what Daniel Craig was using in the Bond 25 set photos from Jamaica.
- Watch: Casio MDV106-1A for $69.95; alternative for the Casino Royale Omega Seamaster Planet Ocean.
- Water Bottle: SIS Wide Neck 980 ml Water Bottle for £5.00; what Daniel Craig was using on set in Jamaica for Bond 25.
- Sunscreen: Eucerin Sun Fluid Photoaging Control SPF 50.
Yes, we are still working on identifying the navy blue shorts from the Bond 25 set photos. Now on to more important stuff. Last year, I had to have very minor surgery to remove some skin cancer on my face. Nothing too serious. But I will tell you this: NO ONE likes to hear the “C” word (and I ain’t talking about the one you can’t say in Canada).
So, my dear friends, if you don’t already, I am strongly advising you to start using a good quality sunscreen every day. And if you even suspect that a bump, mole or pimple looks a little weird, get to your doctor ASAP! When you catch it early, it really doesn’t have to be a big deal. However, if you leave it too long, be prepared for medical professionals to carve chunks out of your face. You can learn more about identifying skin cancer here. PSA over.
Day Out and About
- Jacket: Mango Elbow-patched Cotton Jacket in Dark Navy for $99.00/£69.99; alternative for the Tom Ford Quantum of Solace Harrington Jacket.
- Pants: GAP Straight Fit Linen Khakis in Sand Khaki on sale for $59.99; alternatives for the Casino Royale Ted Baker Linen Trousers.
- Shoes: Sperry Gold Cup Rivingston Boat Shoes in Tan for $159.95. 007’s shoes in the Bond 25 set photos.
- Belt: Badgery Queenslander Plaited Kangaroo Leather Belt for $56.00; alternative for the Daniel Craig favorite R.M. Williams plaited belt. You can read my review of the Badgery belt here.
- Sunglasses: Persol PO 0714 in Havana with Crystal Blue lens on sale for $216.00; just so we can add some McQueen style ….
- Hat: Stetson Madrigal Coconut Straw Pork Pie Hat in Brown for $48.00; alternative for Bond’s Thunderball hat. Plus, see comment about skin cancer above ….
- Watch: Seiko 5 SNZH55 for $172.38; alternative for the Omega Seamaster 300.
- Bag: OFTEN 15″ Messenger Bag in Coffee for $36.99; alternative for the Belstaff 554 Colonial Messenger Bag.
This is the do-it-all look when you’re going to be out running errands, taking the kids to the park and meeting friends for late afternoon drinks. What I like about it is the way it combines so many different pieces from the Bond films and Daniel Craig’s personal style, with a touch of the King of Cool thrown in for good measure. Plus it’s practical. You’ve got the bag for storing stuff. By all reports, those Sperry Gold Cup shoes are super comfy for walking around. The sunglasses fold up for easy storage when the sun goes down. And the jacket will keep you warm if you find yourself down by the water in the evening. Or you can be the gentleman and drape it over the shoulders of your chilly significant other.
Do you have a favorite Bond item you’d like us to use for a “4 Ways to Wear It”? Let us know in the comments below! We also regularly post alternatives, deals around the net, and assorted fun stuff and general silliness on our Facebook page, Instagram account and Pinterest boards; come check us out!